Thursday, September 13, 2012

Shards of Day and Night--A List



1.  I'm going into a work place everyday now for the first time since 1998.  It's weird and tiring, but now I'm like most Americans with jobs, and I'm glad I have jobs.

2.  My middle school kid needs me more than ever, so the time I have to myself has narrowed to small shards.  

3.  This afternoon, a woman asked me for money, saying she had diabetes.

4.  It was a beautiful day.  In fact, all of our days have been beautiful.  I've been trying to enjoy what I can.

5.  Next door, a van unloaded case after case of PBR.  A truck pulled up, it's bed piled high with bags of ice.

6.  Tonight, next door, there was a line snaking around the block for an event--the premiere of a snow boarding movie.  Lots of kids bolting down the dark street on skateboards.  Papparazzi, for some reason.

7.  When we took a night walk, another different woman asked for money, telling me she was three months pregnant AND had diabetes.  She showed me something she said was a diabetes kit, which made me even more skeptical.  I don't know what to believe, but I gave her a dollar.  I just don't want to be lied to.  Kind of an unsatisfying, disconcerting ending to my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment