Thursday, July 5, 2012

More About My Somewhat Sedate 4th, Lara

Uncle Sam waits to pose
The program for Spring Street Studio's annual 4th of July concert, which gives the models a posing break.
Every year I attend the Spring Street Studios 4th of July drawing session, which means instead of nude models, the models wear Revolutionary War-era garb, and pose appropriately: a minute man aiming a musket; a bonneted, petticoated woman posing demurely with a fan. The models are usually assembled in slightly incongruous tableaus: Pocahantas juxtaposed with Uncle Sam. Anyway, it's fascinating to see in this in a basement Soho studio on the 4th.

 At noon, there's always a concert: Flautist Andrew B. deconstructs "Yankee Doodle" (it was actually quite a scandalous song), as well as "The Star-Spangled Banner" which was a drinking song originally with very different lyrics. It was so hot and I didn't feel well, so I didn't make the berry pie I was promising to make and still haven't.

 A and I saw that music I mentioned in yesterday's post instead. The Sweetback Sisters, who are not really sisters, wore matching gingham.

Later, we watched fireworks from one of the top floor windows of a local synagogue.  A. requested it and we strained to see them very quietly with the caretaker and one gray-and-white cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment