Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Roche/McGarrigle/Wainwright

Two the three Roche Sister's.  One Roche daughter
 So I'm kind of obsessed with the Roche/Wainwright/McGarrigle family configuration.  Do you know about it?

I don't quite know where to start, but do you know about the Roches?  Three singer/songwriters from New Jersey who have been doing quirky acoustic songs usually--singing in an oddly affecting unison--since the '70s, at least?  My college roommate, Tina, had their cassette.

Two of the three Roche sisters (Maggie and Suzzy--rhymes with "Fuzzy) played for free in Madison Square Park tonight.  I sat up front on the gravel  I think I may have been one of the youngest audience members, which is always a thrill! On stage with them was Suzzy's 31-year-old daughter Lucy Wainwright Roche, who is also a singer/songwriter.

Lucy's dad is the legendary Louden Wainwright (who is a bit of a cad with the ladies, by all reports   Suzzy Roche raised Lucy alone).  At one point, he--much to the glee of the crowd--mounted the stage and played one song with his daughter, "Love Hurts" (famously covered by Nazareth, but written by the great Jimmy Webb).  (The concert opened with Sloan Wainwright, Louden's sister.)

But I get ahead of myself.  In the '70s--correct me if I'm wrong about the decade--Louden married Kate McGarrigle of the famous Canadian McGarrigle Sisters (even more talented and acoustically inclined sisters!).  Kate and Louden spawned the great Rufus Wainwright (who I've seen perform in NY twice, once with Roxy Music) and his sister, Martha Wainwright, who also has a solid music career.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm going through all this.  I love the idea of performing families (the Wainwright/McGarrigles do stuff at Carnegie Hall during the holidays), and I'm fascinated by the idea that you can pass down musical and artistic genes to your children.

That's all really.  I guess, if pressed, I'd have to say I'm a little jealous.  They seem to be having . . . well, so much fun--the opposite of a tight-place feeling.

The family ended with a cover of Springsteen's "Hungry Heart."  The Roches are Jersey Girls after all.
Maggie and Suzzy.  It would be fun to be named "Suzzy."
The Roches, old school

No comments:

Post a Comment