Saturday, February 22, 2014

Practice: On Not Practicing and Fashion Posting Again!

Seen in the Strand. I'm pretty sure she was Russion. Just had that vibe. Too much Olympics?
I decided to see what it felt like not to practice for a few days and to not even check in about not practicing. No blogging. And it did not feel good.

It felt blah.

And it reminded of the British author Zadie Smith saying that she writes so as not to sleepwalk through life. So, yeah. That.

I don't want to do the bare minimum. Although great swaths of my life--if you take a look at my current resume--have been just that: getting by, getting through. Doing what needs to be done and then climbing into bed. (I mean that literally--my bed really does have to be climbed into.)

I realized today that ten years ago this month, that I posted my first ever blog post on my writermama blog that began as a "mommy blog." It was fine. No images for a long time. I complained a lot about the fact my two year old slept later, napped later, went to bed later than all the other two year olds. I tried to make mothers feel better about their own lives in comparison. I had a two year old and a five year old and was trying to freelance and figure out how to make money while being a full-time caregiver. I had stopped writing fiction. Wasn't inspired. I took my kids all over the city. All my creative energy was funneled into making their time here awesome. And now they don't even remember it.

But I don't regret that. What I do regret I'll save for another post.


No comments:

Post a Comment