Sunday, January 19, 2014

Inspiration: Live Rock and Roll in a Old Club that Recently Resurrected Live Rock and Roll

Big rock and roll reunion today at the Continental.  I caught just the first two bands; someone I only know via Fb invited me to see his.  I really try and make an effort to support other people's art.  It might be what I do best.

This afternoon, I arrived at the club at 3:00 pm (the tv above the bar silently broadcasting the big football game) and as of 11:25 pm NYC time, there are bands still playing, including the band of a former Ramone, and Lenny Kaye, Patti Smith's long-time guitarist.  And right this moment, Walter Lure of The Heartbreakers is on with his band The Waldos.  For those of you who don't know, The Heartbreakers featured at various times, Richard Hell and the legendary Johnny Thunders.  They were one of the most interesting bands to come out of the CBGB's scene.

Blah, blah, blah.

Incidentally, many of the stories I've been working on are directly inspired by rock music.  Fun to use as inspiration, but hard to make work.  Can I pull it off?  I still don't know.

The Continental is an old East Village club, tunnel-shaped like CBGB.  
Can I tell you how much I love photographing people playing music?  Can I?

Kid in front of me had taken the trouble to create a classic spiked hairdo.
A lot of time and effort and it's so anachronistic, that I bow to it..

No comments:

Post a Comment