Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sleep is Free


Oddly--and kind of thrillingly--I had a similar day to Lara's, which you can read about below.   It other words, it was a middle kind of day, too, the kind of day I was not imagining for myself when I was on in the throes of New Year's Eve high ten days ago, but days like this are inevitable, unavoidable.  Aren't they?

Three things that I did:

1.  I worked.
2.  I ran errands.
3.  I made some necessary phone calls.
4.  I listened to the NH primaries on headphones while quasi dozing in my kid's school lobby like an old man.
5.  I wore the same tights I've been wearing off and on since mid December.

Four things that kept this day from being completely middling:

1.  I read James Baldwin's Giovanni's Room on the subway.
2.  I went to Mast and read Jean Genet.
3.  I did some yoga after being freaked out by yoga.
4.  I thought about the things in my life that are free.




3 comments:

  1. I'm inspired to think about the things in my life that are free now. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. something about the freaky yoga article in the nyt: i've decided the net gain is worth the risk, for me anyway. but it's a really good reminder to not do things for the sake of keeping up with the class or whatever. i do have one permanent injury from yoga that i got when i first started practicing about three years ago, probably because i felt i had to push myself to keep up. it pains me almost every day. still, overall, i feel about a million times better than i did three years ago, both mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, things that are free: 1) the provo city library, 2) snuggles with moses, 3) sitting at the table with my family, 4) looking at Y mountain from my dining room, 5) SLEEP 6) writing poetry, 7) hanging with friends, 8) singing, 9) smiling, 10) foot rubs.

    ReplyDelete