Friday, August 10, 2012

Waking Up to the Very Life We're Living: A Late Summer Round-up

1.  A couple of days ago, I saw this woman walk in front of me in chunky metallic heels.  She walked in front of me for many blocks, never wavering.

2.  I missed the FREE Joan Jett concert at Coney Island LAST NIGHT.   I did not know about me, which is so not like me.  I'm still in mourning. 

3.  Not that these two events are related, but I'm mourning the death of the great David Rakoff (aged 47).

3.  I spent this evening alone on The High Line where I saw the art work below.

 4.  I spent two hours on The High Line.  I had a snack from Northern Spy, a ginger/peach popsicle from People's Pops, and a Blue Bottle iced coffee.  There is now no reason not to spend the entire day on The High Line.

5.  Plus, there's a John Cage installation there now.  And Cage's 100th birthday's coming up, as you know from Lara.   I sat in front of the installation, listening and watching and also looking at Cage's Wikipedia entry on my phone.  I like this quote from the entry, and I hope this is accurate, because it's awesome:

"[Cage] described music as "a purposeless play" which is "an affirmation of life – not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living""

--Lara, I think this is an excellent way to describe why we are blogging here this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment