Thursday, March 8, 2012

Eating Your Enemy

Lara, you may able to come up with rad thing after another about Provo, but are there three different locally-owned places--that I know about!--where one can purchase hamentaschen on Purim.

Can you do that in Provo?  You probably can, can't you.

 I bought yesterday's hamens at the 105-year-old Yonah Shimmel Knishery, which advertised their availability in a humble hand-written sign taped up to their window. (I'm not sure you know what a huge fan of the humble hand-written sign I am.) The hamens themselves were nestled against the window.

We did not love these.

 I bought today's hamens at the uber-famous Russ and Daughters. These were pricier and more delicately constructed. And were excellent.  The humble hamen was elevated by Russ n D.

 The third place to get "hamens" (and this is a nickname I--a goy girl from Utah--made up) I avoided because their hamens are always too greasy.  (I can't remember the name of the place but always ride up and down 1st Avenue until I see it.

 I love that Purim this year landed squarely on International Women's Day, because everyone knows had rad Queen Esther was, and how often to women get to be super rad in the Old Testament?

 Btw, I've been realizing that for some Jewish holidays you are instructed to eat something--in this case hamens--which symbolizes your enemy. (Lara, I threw in some super rad red tights here for good measure.) Share photos on twitter with Twitpic Share photos on twitter with Twitpic Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

3 comments:

  1. such a hilarious and rad post. and no, you know full well we don't have anywhere to get hamens in provo, dammit. & yes, queen esther is the raddest. you're lucky you get to celebrate her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also, i think you promised me a trip to russ and daughters in may.

      Delete
  2. thanks for the good romp! Now back to me books so I can get smart like youse.

    ReplyDelete