Thursday, October 11, 2012

Dressed for Class

My very full week is drawing to a close.  This week, I taught a slew of one-shot classes in four days, which feels weird and kind of overwhelming as a part-timer.   Today class was great, actually--amazing students, and a crazy, almost haphazard energy.  I feel like we all learned something and got inspired.  I haven't had so much fun in a pedagogical setting in a good long time. (Was it because my hot pink tights were making their seasonal debut?)

After work, I biked to my favorite cafe to get in a bit of writing.  I don't know what's going on in the city right now, but the cafe was rife-ish with the kind of young hip new media/fashion types you always see featured in Interview and/or New York magazine.  I was intially visually dazzled by them, but then they opened their mouths and started talking and the dazzle--Lara--it faded.  I don't want to be judge-y, but it did make me feel like my life wasn't so dull in comparison (except for maybe visually).  Half were Brits or pretending to be.

It's why I appreciated this young woman dressed for class in a vintage dress and a pair of basic black tights. 

On the way home, we passed this excellent Halloween window, complete with a fashionable mummy and a heartbreakingly small, lovely vintage casket.

Lara, wishing I were in Southern Utah!

1 comment: